default avatar
Welcome to the site! Login or Signup below.
Logout|My Dashboard

Honoring brother who didn’t come home

Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Friday, March 8, 2013 5:00 am

A short stretch of road in the Exway community is getting a new name this spring. About 3.5 miles of Cartledge Creek Road, between Highway 73 and Exway in Richmond County, will now be known as Everett Chappell Road. Getting to this point has been a long labor of love for the late Everett Chappell’s younger brother, Ted Chappell, who now lives in Mt. Gilead.

Everett Chappell died in Korea at age 21, declared missing in action Feb. 13, 1951 and later presumed dead.

Ted and Everett were the youngest of Frank and Ella Chappell’s eight children. About three and a half years apart in age, they were best buddies as youngsters. “He was such a good boy,” recalls Ted. “It was a rural area and there weren’t any other kids so we played together, and like kids we fought some too, and got into mischief.”

…About three years ago Ted and his wife, Ann, found several old letters in the attic of Ted and Everett’s sister Margaret’s home, including some from Everett written in September 1950 from Korea. They provide a glimpse of the hardship of that undeclared war.

Sept. 9

Dear Margaret…I just got back from the rear rest line about 15 miles back and took a hot shower. It really made me feel good, the first one in two months. They were pumping water out of the river and warming it up by a gasoline heater…

I haven’t wrote any in the past week though, I have been pretty busy. The gooks came back across the river; we have been busy taking care of them. I have seen things this week I never want to see again, things no human should see, things I wouldn’t believe if I hadn’t seen them. In a way this may do me good; it will sure make me appreciate life when I get back. If a person never prayed before he learns how over here…

You said something about me not standing it. I will stand it if the rest can. That’s the way I figure it; there is some boys going through more than I am. There is times we all get so disgusted we don’t care for anything. I don’t mind bullets so bad; it is the shells and mortars coming in that scare me so. They had me pinned down in a rice paddy for two hours or more one night. I thought I was gone; that was the worst two hours of my life and when we did get out they started machine gunning us. Walter Winchell says the war will be over by the 19th of this month, I hope he is right.

To read the full story, subscribe to Montgomery Herald. Subscribe online or by calling 910-576-6051.