House fire

HOUSE FIRE - Firemen from Biscoe, Candor, Star, Troy and Seven Lakes were on hand to help with the fire at the homeof Mary and Gene Anderson of Biscoe. Gene Anderson died in the early morning fire that destroyed his home.

The town of Biscoe lost not only a friend to the town, but a board member as well, early Monday morning in a tragic house fire. Gene Anderson perished in the fire that destroyed his home on Lambert Road. His wife of 38 years, Mary, escaped by crawling out of the bedroom window. She thought Gene was behind her. He was not.

Mary Anderson had been awakened by the smoke detectors, and when she went to investigate she saw the smoke. Anderson (Mary) tried to make it to the front door, but was forced back by the smoke. She yelled for her husband and heard him responding but was not able to understand what he said. She thought he was behind her in exiting the bedroom window, but it is unclear what happened to Gene Anderson, whose body was found in a different bedroom in the back of the house.

To read the full story see the July 14th edition of the Montgomery Herald.